CDF Asim Munir leaves for official visit to Iran: security sources – Pakistan

Table of Contents

Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir departed on an official visit to Iran on Friday, security sources said.

The CDF will discuss mediation efforts between Iran and the United States, peace in the region and other important issues during the visit, the sources said. He will also meet with senior Iranian officials.

The visit comes amid ongoing Pakistani efforts to mediate between the US and Iran, after plans for a second round of negotiations in Islamabad fell through.

The first round of historic direct US-Iran talks was held in Islamabad on April 11 and 12, following a Pakistan-brokered ceasefire on April 8. It had ended without an agreement, but also without a breakdown.

US President Donald Trump later called off a planned visit of US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner to travel to Islamabad for a second round of talks with Iran. However, he extended the ceasefire indefinitely “upon the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif”.

Pakistan has stepped up its diplomatic efforts to break the deadlock, sending its emissary — Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi — to Tehran on Wednesday for the second time in less than a week to resuscitate negotiations. He had previously met Iran’s president, parliament speaker and foreign minister over the weekend.

The CDF previously visited Iran for three days last month alongside Naqvi, where he held a meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and other officials. Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) described the visit as part of “ongoing mediation efforts” for de-escalation between Iran and the US.

Diplomatic sources said Pakistan was continuing to relay messages between Tehran and Washington, but differences over Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, the Strait of Hormuz, and wider regi­onal security concerns linked to Teh­ran’s missile capabilities and allied armed groups continued to impede progress.

The latest round of contacts is taking place under heightened pressure from the US and its Middle East allies. US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said talks in Iran were in the final stages, and also threatened to resume strikes if a deal is not reached in a “limited timeframe”.

Iran, meanwhile, warned of confrontation beyond the Middle East in the case of a US attack but also insisted that all paths were open to avert the resumption of hostilities.


More to follow

Source Link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to content